Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Cinder Edna

Vocabulary Homework - find definitions and use the following words in sentences:

1. to scrub -> Rub (someone or something) hard so as to clean them, typically with a brush and water.
  • My mom had to scrub the floor everyday.
2. wicked -> evil or morally wrong.
  • Today outside the wind was wicked.
3. cinder -> a small piece of partly burned coal or wood that has stopped giving off flames but still has combustible matter in it.
  • My neighbor began cindering as soon as the first snowflake fell.
4. spunky -> willing to face danger.
  • My teachers are spunky sometime when the student behaves badly.
5. to trim -> make (something) neat or of the required size or form by cutting away irregular or unwanted parts
  • My brother was trimming the fat off some pork chops.
6. occasion -> a particular time or instance of an event.
  • On one occasion I stayed up until two in the morning.
7. orphan -> a child whose parents are dead.
  • My cousin was orphaned at 12.
8. casserole -> a kind of stew that is cooked slowly in an oven .
  • A chicken casserole.
9. to stumble -> make a mistake or repeated mistakes in speaking.
  • I always stumble over the words
10. profile -> an outline of something, esp. a person's face, as seen from one side.
  • Somebody in school caught in my blog profile.